Jaigarh Fort also called Victory Fort is a fortified defensive structure built to watch over the Amer Fort (also called the Amber Fort). It is situated at the top of Cheel ka Teela of the Aravalli Range in Jaipur, Rajasthan, India.
History of the Jaigarh Fort:
The fort was built in 1726 AD by Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh – II and was named after him. The Fort was built to serve a purpose of a residential place for a king but because of its ideal location for weapon storing it was used to store the weapons.
It also served as a production site for weapons due to the presence of iron ore mines. Jaigarh Fort is the biggest fort constructed in Rajasthan.
The architecture of the Jaigarh Fort:
Architect Vidhyadhar has designed the magnificent architect of the Jaigarh Fort depicting the culture and tradition of medieval India.
Being situated at the height of 400 meters from the Amer Fort it provides a majestic view of the Amer Fort and the Aravalli hills.The fort is highly fortified with red sandstone walls that has a length and width of 1 kilometer. Out of three entrances of the fort, the first one is called as Doongar Gate constructed in 1942 by Maharaja Sawai Man Singh – II.
The second gate called Awani Gate connects the Amer Fort to the Jaigarh Fort and is a triple arch gateway having the architectural designs from Indo – Persian style. Cyclopean walls found in Mycenaean architecture depicts the influence of Mughals of then India. Sagari gate was the original entrance for the fort.
Jaigarh fort encloses a city in itself by holding many structures like temples, gardens, water reservoirs, museums, entertainment areas, cannon foundry, residential places, watchtowers and so on. At the entrance from the Doongarh gate three water tanks are built to serve the water requirements of the people who lived in the fort.
Among these three water tanks the largest one is fully covered to keep the water safe from any other impurities and yes to prevent evaporation also. A 50-meter square feet garden called as the Charbagh garden only adds to its beauty.
The Southern side of the Fort opens into the Jaleb Chownk and has the temples, palace complex, and museum. At the left corner of the Jaleb Chownk, the temple of God Shiv and Vishnu named as Ram Harihar is situated.
The Northern side of the Fort portraits the wealth and power of the rulers as most of the establishment of the Palace Complex is here in the Northern side. Subhat Niwas is the first palace in the Palace complex where the King used to address his army. The hall in the Subhat Niwas is decorated with Elephant seats and the Big war drums.
Lalit Mandir is another place of interest within the fort it it provides the comfort to enjoy the cool summer breeze and the view of Sarag Lake. For entertainment purpose, an auditorium has been built. Vilas Mandir, built in 17th century was used for the royal get-together. Aram Mandir built in 16th Century for the relaxation purpose of the royal garden hold the majestic Charbhag Garden.
Attractions at the Jaigarh Fort:
Cannon on Wheel — Jaigarh Fort is the home for world’s largest cannon on wheels built in 1720. The most significant thing about the cannon is that it was never used as the Fort was never attacked. It was test fired with a Jaivan barrel of 50 tons and 20.2 ft long, covering a distance of 40 kilometers and killing nine people.
Museum — Located left to the Awami Gate preserving Jaipur culture in stamps, royal pictures and other things related to royal members.
Armoury Chamber — Exhibits weapons such as swords, guns, muskets, shield and a 50 kilograms cannon ball.
Now a days, it is serving as one of the most loved tourist destinations by the people.