We’re all proud fans of pancakes. Pancakes with syrup constitute a healthy and delicious breakfast. But the natives of Gujarat do pancakes their way. Gujaratis uniquely make pancake or Rice Panki. They make Panki by cooking a batter between the leaves of banana. The batter used can be made of rice, but variations are found in the batter used.
Gujarati pancakes are simple, easy and take only 15 minutes to be ready. It is healthy, tasty and a snack that can be served at any time of the day. The preparation method of Rice Pankis often sees variations to accommodate the certain traditions different people uphold. For example, the Jains have a different recipe for making Pankis.
Rice Pankis: The Classic way
The classic Rice Panki is made with a twist.
- a) Rice Flour – 1 cup
- b) Sour Curd – 1/2 cup
- c) Chilli Paste (Green Chillies) – 1 tsp
- d) Chopped Coriander Leaves – 1/2 cup
- e) Oil – 2 tbsp
- f) Asafoetida (Hing) – 1/4 tsp
- g) Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
- h) Water – as required
- i) Salt – to taste
- j) Banana Leaves
- a) Mix all the ingredients except the banana leaves in a batter like a form.
- b) Grease the banana leaves with oil.
- c) Spread the batter on one leaf and cover it with the other leaf.
- d) Roast on a Tawa for 2-3 minutes
- e) Serve hot with coriander green chutney and masala green chilli.
Rice Panki: The Jain Way
- a) Rice Flour – 5 tbsp
- b) Urad Dal Flour – 1 tbsp
- c) Curd – 1tbsp
- d) Green Chilli Paste – 1/2 tsp
- e) Salt – for taste
- f) Banana Leaves – few
- g) Oil – 1 tsp
Preparation Method –
- a) Combine the rice flour, urad dal flour, curd, green chilli paste, oil and salt with 3/4 cup of water. Add cumin seeds for extra oomph.
- b) Cut the banana leaves according to your choice using a knife or a cookie cutter.
- c) Grease the leaves with oil.
- d) On one of the leaves, apply a thin, even layer of batter and place the other leaf on top and gently press to even out the batter.
- e) Place the panki on a Tawa for 2-3 minutes and serve fresh with green chutney.
Try the recipe, and comment below to make us know about how it tasted!