It is not easy to get rid of the taste of Northeast India. You go there once and you will keep going there.Sikkim is a small state nestled between Nepal and Bhutan and is home to the third highest mountain peak – Kanchendzonga or Kanchanjunga. Sikkim is also credited to be the first fully organic state of India.
This means all the agricultural produce is completely organic and you can eat anything without being concerned about the pesticides. It also has banned the use of plastic bags and stayfoam. The Tibetan name for Sikkim is Drenjong which means “valley of rice”, while the Bhutias call it Beyul Demazong, which means ‘”the hidden valley of rice”.The Lepcha people, the original inhabitants of Sikkim, called it Nye-mae-el, meaning “paradise”.
List of India’s Organic State
- Family Destination
- Adventure Destination in Sikkim
- Honeymoon Destination
- Famous Food in Sikkim
- Reasons Why You Should Make Sikkim Your Next Travel Destination
Gangtok is the capital of Sikkim. The famous Ganesh Tok or Temple is located on a hill in the Gangtok. The capital of Sikkim is not only famous for its amazing natural beauty, but also for various Gangtok ominent pilgrimage destinations.
Sikkim attracts people by its beauty, its a family destination. Not even youngsters oldies can also enjoy the beautiful trip of Sikkim. When you visit there you can carry home some beautiful memories that you will cherish forever.It is the most amazing place. Cleanliness everywhere, kind and helpful people, amazing weather and mesmerizing beauty. The gateway to the North-Eastern corridor of India, Sikkim not only boasts of its enchanting beauty, but also offers an engrossing list of things to do and places to visit as well.Best places to visit in Sikkim are as follow:
Believe it or not, but resisting the alluring charm and appeal of Gangtok is almost impossible for anyone! The capital city of Sikkim, Gangtok is nestled in the Eastern Himalayas and is one of the kaleidoscopic tourist destinations in the state.
Whether you are looking for serene beauty, lush forests, gurgling rivers or mental peace, Gangtok travel packages will cuddle up your Sikkim holidays. For the nature lovers, a holiday in this scenic city is enough to fulfil all their wishes. On the other hand, for the adventure lovers, they can enjoy cable car rides, river rafting, go for mountain biking and several other activities in Gangtok.
Located in the Western parts of Sikkim, Yuksom is the origin of several enthralling treks into the Himalayas or the magical Kanchenjunga. The once a capital of Sikkim, this hamlet is more known for its pristine beauty and rustic appeal.
Also known as the ‘Meeting place of Three Lamas’, this Sikkimese village has recently started gaining tourism attention. Well, this is also the reason, you can expect pristine beauty and untouched nature in Yuksom. Home to the oldest monastery in Sikkim, this pictorial hamlet is one among the most peaceful and serene places to visit in Sikkim.
3. Namgyal Institute of Tibetology:
Nestled amidst lush and evergreen thickets, the Namgyal Institute of Tibetology is an ideal centre to learn about Buddhist cultures and traditions. Established in 1958, this institute is in fact the home to the largest collection of Tibetan preaching outside Tibet, and this include relics from 11th and 12th century collected from different parts of the world.
4. Rumtek Monastery:
Counted amongst the largest monasteries in Sikkim, Rumtek Monastery is also one of the oldest monasteries in the state. An ode to the Buddhist cultures and traditions, this monastery is located near Gangtok and is also known as the ‘Dharma Chakra Centre’.
A testimony to the Buddhist architecture and teachings, it is a perfect place to attain mental peace and know more about Buddhism. Its spiritual appeal and grandeur makes it an integral part of any Gangtok travel packages!
5. Jawaharlal Nehru Botanical Garden:
Located within a close proximity with the Rumket Monastery, this lush and verdant botanical garden is the home to several rare and exotic species of plants and trees. Some of the orchids found in this garden are indigenous to only this part of the world and holds high medicinal and commercial value as well.
If you are a vivid nature lover, this colourful offering of the Sikkim travel packages will take you to a treasure island. And if you are visiting this garden with your family members; especially the younger ones, your visit will surely be cuddled up by the colourful ambience within the garden.
Adventure Destination in Sikkim
Sikkim sure is a base to glaciers, alpine meadows, varieties of flora and fauna but it also houses many adventure activities around. Expect, a splash of water from River Teesta to replenish you or a cycling trek to offer some awesome sights to gaze as you paddle. View the majestic peaks by taking up paragliding adventures and take a rock climbing activity to test your capability. Sikkim has so much to offer and this is just the start!
1. Thrilling River Rafting Experience in Teesta
A river rafting in Teesta which carves out from the flourishing Himalayas is an ultimate adventure experience. The river undoubting embellishes the natural panorama as you raft in Teesta. The lifeline of Sikkim flows from the mighty peaks to the Bay of Bengal and this rafting expedition will give you an opportunity to view the thick green forests along the riverbed, lovely small villages and some portions of cultivation. It is a perfect outdoor adventure to appreciate both nature and white water raft along Teesta River. This expedition is perfect for both beginners and advanced adventurers.
2. Mountain Biking and Cycling – Way to Explore One’s Land
3. Rock Climbing – A daredevil’s challenge
Rock Climbing has always been an adventurer’s desire and to mount the natural rocks of the Himalaya is a dream come true. In rock climbing, the thrill is endless, with ever step you grade up the more adrenaline rush kicks in. In Sikkim Rock Climbing, there are two kinds of activities you can set your foot in. Free climbing and aid climbing – The difference is, in free climbing gears and ropes are made available in case of a drop, whereas, in aid climbing, gears and ropes are provided for an easier route up with the help of equipment that is intact in the rock for progressing upward.
4. Wildlife – Envelope into the Wild
Put Wildlife Expedition on your things to do adventure list and explore the Sikkimese biodiversity. Sikkim being one of the richest states in India in terms of flora and fauna it has around 5,000 species of flowering plants and home to faunas like red panda, snow leopard, musk deer etc. However, Flora is divided into three botanical zones – Tropical zone, Temperate zone and Alpine zone.If you love animals then a visit to the following to feel the wildlife sanctuaries in Sikkim is a must –
A) The Kanchendzonga National Park
B) The Fambong Lho Wildlife Sanctuary
C) The Maenam Wildlife Sanctuary
D) The Singba Rhododendron Sanctuary
E) The Kyongnosla Alpine Sanctuary
5. Yak Safari to the winning Mountainous range of Sikkim
Yaks are slow bulky built animals and they can stand up to 5.2 to 7.2 ft tall. Yaks are physically adapted to high altitudes and are usually domesticated. Sikkim introduces you to one of its kind, take a Yak Safari and pass through rolling ranch-lands linking the heavenly beauty of the hills and pristine Tsomgo Lake. Yak Safari is organised in different parts of Sikkim, travellers from across the globe come here to relish the beauty meandering on a serene Yak ride.
Sikkim is one of the quiet, peaceful and most beautiful hill stations in India. It provides the perfect setting for a romantic holiday with your loved one. Nestled amongst the foothills of the Himalayas, Sikkim has a lot to offer to its tourists. Here is a list of the nine best honeymoon places in sikkim.
1. Tsomgo Lake:
- A) There is no way that couples would not fall in love again here. Tsomgo lake is one of the most heavenly and stunning honeymoon locations in Sikkim. If you and your life partner want to feel closer to nature and its wonders, this is the perfect place for you to share a moment of peace and love.
- B) You will have to drive for nearly 2 hours to reach Tsomgolake from Gangtok. The nearest airport to Gangtok is in Hangdog, West Bengal. It is around 124kms away from Gangtok. You can easily rent a car or taxi from the airport.
- C) There are many hotels, lodges and other humble accommodations available in Gangtok and also near the lake. One can easily rent a place according to their budget and comfort.
- D) October to Mid-December is the best time to visit Tsomgo Lake. The beautiful scenic view of this honeymoon location is better enjoyed in winter months. However, the weather is pleasant throughout the year.
- A) Love birds are sure to love Namchi for the lush green gardens, tree gardens and a beautiful aura it has to offer. It is an ideal location for newly married couples who have immense love for nature. You must the gardens and Monastery with your better half.
- B) The nearest airport to Namchi is the Bangdogra Airport. You can conveniently rent a taxi or a cab from this airport to reach your destination. The nearest railway station to Namchi is New Jalpaiguri and hill-town of Namchi is well connected to nearby cities by roads.
- C) There are many hotels and lodges available in Namchi. Couples can easily rent a stay according to their preferences and budget.
- D) March to May is the best time to visit Namchi. The temperature is moderate and your vacation can be pleasant. Another suitable duration is September to November.
- A) If all you love birds want to do is please your eyes and appreciate nature, this is the best honeymoon destination for you. This village is located at a high elevation and has a lot in store for newly married couples. It is surely one of the most romantic honeymoon places in Sikkim.
- B) Zuluk is about 4 hours drive away from Gangtok. One can reach Gangtok by both railway and air. The nearest airport to Gangtok is Bagdogra Airport. Jalpaiguri and Siliguri are the nearest railway stations.
- C) There are many hotels and lodges available in this village. You can easily book a humble and cozy accommodation according to your budget and comfort.
- D) The best time to visit Zuluk is August and September. These months bring to you the view of wild flowers in the entire village. The weather is very pleasant for couples to enjoy their romantic getaway.
4 Nathula Pass:
- A) This place of immense historic value can prove to be a great honeymoon spot for newly married couples. It not only offers scenic beauty but also has a war memorial. Love birds are sure to enjoy the essence of history and beauty in this place.
- B) The nearest airport to Nathula pass is Bagdogra. It is nearly 178kms away from the airport. The nearest railway stations are Jalpaiguri and Siliguri. Taxis are available at the airport as well as the railway station.
- C) There are hotels and lodges available in and around Nathula pass. Couples can book an accommodation according to comfort and budget.
- D) April to mid-June is the best time to visit Nathula pass. Winter months can be extremely frosty and chilly and temperature may drop to -25 degrees. Monsoons are a great threat to this honeymoon spot because of the possibility of land slides.
5. Lachung, Lachen And Yumthang Valley:
- A) The best way to explore the rich culture of Sikkim is to visit Lachung, Lachen and Yumthang valley. Couples can admire the alluring views of this place and enjoy some traditions put into food and activities. This is a perfect honeymoon location for couples looking out for some adventure.
- B) One can reach Lachung, Lachen and Yumthang valley by road from Gangtok. The nearest airport to Gangtok is Bagdogra and the nearest railway stations are Jalpaiguri and Siliguri. Hire a taxi to reach Gangtok. You will have to stay in Gangtok for a night and start your journey next day.
- C) There are many cozy hotels and lodges available in Gangtok as well as the valleys. One can conveniently rent a place according to budget and preference.
- D) Late February to June is the best time to visit these valleys. The weather is pleasant and you will also get to see the blossoming of flowers in Mid-June.
Famous Food in Sikkim
The food of Sikkim is something that will amaze you with its simple yet relishing flavours. The food of Sikkim is a rich mixture of Nepalese, Tibetan and native Sikkimese food. This blend of the three cultures is very soothing on the taste buds and leaves you craving as soon as you drop your plate.Here are a few of the most authentic and delicious Sikkim food that the state serves its visitors:
1. Momo (Dumplings)
It is the Tibetan delicacy which is more popular in Sikkim than other places. It is dumplings formed of flour dough. The dough has stuff such as meat, cheese, and vegetables. The perforations in the three tier apparatus allow the flavor of tomato soup to rise to the dumplings. The soup is boiled in the lower compartment of the utensils. Chili sauce and soup acts as the side dish for momos
It is the famous local food available in road restaurants. It is just the noodles made along with the vegetables. Egg noodles enhance the flavor and taste of Thukpa. The red meat adds the spiciness to the dish. Garlic, chopped onion, and green chilies add spiciness to the noodles.
3. Sael Roti
Since Sikkim is nearby Tibet and Nepal, the Sikkim’s used to cook both the Nepal and Tibet cuisine. Seal Roti is from the Nepal background. The water and rice mixed in the form of the paste. The rice paste is the chief thing in the dish. The oil boiled and rice fried in the hot oil. Most Sikkim restaurant serves the famous Seal Roti along with the Potato Curry.
Millet is the foremost item in the Sikkim’s Thomba. Thomba is the other name of Chang. It is the fermented form of Millet and yeast helps in performing the fermentation process. The Chang is the local beer and the bamboo receptacle used to sip the beer through a bamboo pipe.
5. Sikkim’s Tea
The tea is famous in Sikkim since they use to make tea from the tea garden named Temi tea garden, established in Sikkim. It is the traditional local dish available throughout Sikkim. They used to serve tea in the traditional cups which draw attention towards Sikkim’s tea among other local dishes.
Reasons Why You Should Make Sikkim Your Next Travel Destination
Sikkim- the land of mystique. One of the smallest states in India, Sikkim is a personification of the phrase ‘good things come in small packages’. Enveloped by the Himalayas, this state happens to be the ideal spot for all kinds of people. Nature lovers, adventure enthusiasts, spiritual buffs, everyone.
- A) Sikkim is a land of mountains that touch the heaven.
- B) It is the least populous state in India.
- C) It is considered to be one of the best places for meditation.
- D) The state has an enormous variety of flora and fauna.
- E) Sikkimese cuisine is popular all over India.
- F) It has been named India’s cleanest state.
- G) It is a land of adventure.
- H) The Tendong Lho Rum Faat Festival is celebrated with grandeur.
- I) Sikkim has been named one of the ‘top visiting regions’ in the world by a leading international travel publication.
- J) And finally, the friendly people will melt your heart.